Just a few years back, most entrepreneurs were skeptical about remote personal assistant services, perhaps hesitant to hire someone they couldn’t even see.
Traditionally, businesses prefer to employ in-office staff. They felt that it made more sense to have someone who can physically report to them. It was also a lot more secure to keep all documents and correspondence within one network.
However, businesses and entrepreneurs eventually realized the advantages of a remote personal assistant outweighed the concerns. Since then, remote virtual assistants have been highly utilized even by large companies.
What is a Remote Personal Assistant?
A remote personal assistant, often called a virtual assistant (VA), is someone who can provide you services remotely.
All communication with the assistant is done virtually over the internet, or through phone calls and emails. A good line of communication and coordination with your assistant is a must to ensure a good working relationship.
Tips on How to Work With Your Remote Personal Assistant
Take the Time to Find the Best One
When you are looking for a remote personal assistant on various online platforms, it is important to dedicate time in researching.
- Expect that you will receive a lot of applications
- Be patient in sifting through their qualifications
- Know not only their skills and expertise but also their personality
Remember that the only difference between a remote personal assistant and an in-house staff is their office. Maintain a professional relationship with them.
- Be extra patient and walk your remote personal assistant through the works of the job
- It may be a steep learning curve at first, but it will be worth it
Give Clear Instructions
When working with a remote personal assistant, you should always give clear and detailed instructions. Again, communication is key for a good working relationship.
- Never assume that the personal assistant would know all your specifications
- But also avoid micro-managing them as it restricts their productivity
Don’t Overload Your Assistant
As much as you would want to jump into full productivity, give time for your virtual assistant to learn – especially when they are new.
- Set realistic goals
- Gradually increase the load when they start to become comfortable with the work
Give Tasks by Importance
It is best to provide your remote personal assistant with a to-do list sorted according to importance.
- Break it down to four quadrants – Urgent, Not Urgent, Important, Not Important
- This article lists various time management tools you can try with your assistant
For a great on-demand personal assistant who will take care of your tasks for you and note all your preferences, you should try Magic.
Magic is an on-demand personal assistant whom you can ask to do your tasks for you anytime. Your Magic remote personal assistant will work with you to get what you want, whenever you need it.